Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Road Less Traveled

Somehow 2 months have passed since I last updated this.
    I have so much to say- so much has happened.
The time passes so fast and I am often too exhausted and/or distracted to type.
  And now I sit here attempting to reflect on the past 2 months
     and there are not enough words to describe my thoughts, feelings, and adventures.

I am absolutely falling in love with this land and these people.
     More so than I expected.
 God has given me a heart for this place and I am so joyful I get to live here!

   And it is only because of God I am here.
I distinctly remember when I was 12 saying I would never be a missionary.
Then God helped me understand my compassion and gave me a huge heart for missions.
     My freshman year of college one of my classmates went to Haiti for his internship,
  I clearly remember thinking I didn't want to live in Haiti because it's too close to the US.
       (Yes, I was a spoiled brat who enjoys traveling a little too much)
Then 2 years ago tomorrow, the earthquake happened where over a million and a half people were displaced and roughly 300,000 people died. 
  I clearly remember where I was when I first heard about the earthquake.
          I was in Iowa visiting my parents.
                    As the news continued to cover stories, I just sat in front of the TV weeping.
         I remember feeling like I belonged in Haiti, like I had a weird connection to the country.
 [Even though I said I would never live here because it's on this side of the world (ridiculous thought)]
 At one point I was up in my room just thinking about everything happening and
                         so I walked down to the kitchen and told my dad I had to go to Haiti.
         He said no.
But God had other plans.
       [A year and a half later, I moved to Haiti.
   And 2 years later, my mom, dad, and a brother came to visit]

God clearly ignored my idea of the way I wanted to live,
               but He called me to live a better life than I could have even imagined.
       He's allowing me to be apart of so many amazing peoples' lives,
                                               given me so much joy, and immensely blessed me here in Haiti.

Walking in Haiti. 

My dad in Haiti!



1 comment:

  1. I tried to call your folks last week as our team from Bettendorf is in Haiti at Grand Goave. Now I know why I did not get an answer! :) I will be praying hard for the whole counrty tomorrow as we all reflect on January 12,2010. Miss you!!!
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete