Thursday, February 12, 2009

The One With Helicopters

It's been an interesting week so far.

This past weekend we went to Rakai, we were 14 miles from Tanzania and climbed a hill that gave us the most gorgeous view of the land! The 6 hour trip took us on roads that reminded me of Malawi and I began to miss the people God blessed me with last summer in that beautiful African country. We were out in a more rural area at the Kibaale Community Center. We stayed there and had the pleasure of touring a bit of what they do for the community. They are based out of Vancuver, Canada and have an amazing ministry! They have a school with over 800 children-- each child is fully sponsered by someone at their "partner" school and church in Canada. They also have a health care center for the community, water well projects, & numerous others I cannot remember at the moment. Their work is seriously inspiring!
[Above picture: view from top of the hill we climbed, right picture: A current village school, yes this is still in use today]

I was feeling better over the weekend and was able to eat. Our trip home made me start feeling sick again, I do get car sick so I thought that was the problem. I got back to my families house and eventually went to sleep, in the middle of the night I woke up and had to vomit. I am going to tell you more details so be ware... I couldn't throw up in the toliet becasue the house is locked at night so I swallowed. Nasty, yes! This happened a few more times until I was finally able to go outside and make it to the toliet. For the rest of the day, I threw up on the hour- most of it was just bile. Which is disgusting. One of our interns thought I should go to Kampala to the British medical clinic that is a lot better that the Mukono options. So I did. They gave me pills to stop the vomiting and wanted to do a test. I had nothing in me so I couldn't that day. They gave me the container and was told to come back with it full. On Tuesday, I started to throw up again so I was advised to go to the free clinic on campus. They tested me for malaria found out I was negative, the doctor goes "I don't know what you have so take these pills" They gave me 3 different kinds of medicine, I didn't know what they were so I just take any of them. I was able to eventually get my sample and in the midst had to throw up. Let's just say that was an awkward and disgusting experience I am trying to block from my mind. Me typing this doesn't help. Haha.
Wednesday morning Phil [the intern] and I made our way to Kampala once again. Depending on traffic, it's roughly an hour. I got in and the doctor took a urine sample and apparently I have a Urinary tract infection. Which was news to me. They also took my blood and tested that. I waited 20 minutes and got my results. I was surprised how fast they got them back. Normally everything is just the opposite in Uganda. It was definitely faster than the USA! It turns out I have a bacteria called
Helicobacter pylori, but pronouced Helicopters. I keep imagining little helicopters flying around my stomach, which makes sense since it feels like my intestines are being ripped out.
They put me on a bunch of medicine, but it's hard keeping it down. Swallowing it once is not the case, but I get to swallow it about 3 times each time. I am also very dehydrated. I can't really keep much water down but I have been able to figure out that a little sip will stay so that's what I do.

In the end, God is good! I won't let this set me back and I will continue on with Him at my side!

P.S. I finally uploaded pictures into an album on facebook. There are a lot more there, so go take a look!!

4 comments:

  1. praying for you. i am really glad you don't have malaria *whew*, but swallowing throw up & taking random pills doesn't sound so fun :\ I MISS YOU! Your pictures are really really neat too, thanks for sharing those. I hope you get better by your birthday too!! :D lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps: i really like how your blog entries are like Friends episodes haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God it wasn't Malaria. You are always in our prayers. Your Mom and Dad are as well since they have to read your blogs...LOL
    Keep up the fight there missy and can't wait to read more.

    God bless,

    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sounds.... intense. I'll make sure I read your next blog post over lunch.

    River

    ReplyDelete