Thursday, June 17, 2010

The One with the Love of a Mama Rat

The other day as I stood on the subway platform, 
     I watched a mama rat with her 3 babies for a good 15 minutes. 
She was constantly running after her babies, 
        trying to keep them together. 
When one would run off, she chased it down and brought it back to the others.  
   As I stood there watching, I couldn't help but be grateful for my parents. 
                                   The mama rat desired to keep her children on track,
                      even risking her life as a train came to find her child. 
My mother and father raised 3 children too. 
                (I guess I'm comparing my parents to this rat... no offense mutti and daddy)
    This rat showed me something about the love of parents. 
We may not get along all the time, but I know they want the best for us.  
          I also noticed the energy the mama rat used chasing her babies around. 
   My brothers and I have always been everywhere, 
            as kids, one at soccer, one at boy scouts, the other at swim practice. 
to more recently, traveling the world. one in Iraq, one hiking Machu Picchu, one hanging out in Africa. 
 to one living in California, one in North Carolina, and the other in Virginia Beach. 
Between the 3 of us, one of us always seems to be going somewhere or doing something. 
                         It's been this way since I can remember. 
My mother was always behind us, supporting us, and running in all directions. 
                     She still is. 
                                      And my father too. 
This rat family, living in the subways of New York City,
                                   made me grateful and showed me what a blessing my parents are. 
SO thank you Daddy and Mutti
                     for everything throughout my 21 years. 
I am so honoured you love us the way you do and 
     I find great joy in the way you brought us up to love Christ and 
                                                                       live for the one who shed HIs blood. 
          When one of us strayed the other way,
                    you guys always ran after us like that mama rat, trying to bring us back. 
If it weren't for the love you guys have for us and more importantly for Christ, 
          None of us would be were we are today. 
                                                               Thank you! 
Oh, and we love you! 





It's funny the things God can use to show us something. Even Rats. 
 I guess I should pay more attention to the little things around me. 
For it is with a small voice God tends to teach us, show us, and communicate with us. 

1 comment: