Monday, March 16, 2009

The One With The Fight Against The Nile

Sorry, it’s been a while. Lots has happened and frankly, I’d rather live my life then type about it. But I will still be kind to my mother and update. Considering she called me yesterday just to beg for an update...

--By the grace of God, I got to go rafting on the Nile. Also, by the grace of God, I survived. Last Friday, a group of 26 American students set out for Jinja where we stayed in a youth hostel with hot showers! This was my first shower in over 2 months. It was actually a very strange feeling, but my back is the cleanest it’s been and I hadn’t washed my hair in 8 weeks, I did that too!

Saturday morning we woke, ate breakfast, put on a helmet and life vest, and jumped into the back of a truck. We made our way down to the Nile and split into groups of 5 or 6, got a raft, a guide, grabbed a paddle, and began our adventure down the Nile. My group included 3 IMME and 3 USE students, it was good to mix it up with some on-campus students. Team Smashley (changed to the name of Flashy Smashy by our guide) consisted of Nicole, Chuck, Emily, Kristen, and Ashley with the team guide as Nathan- a 24 yr old with the sweetest job ever. He is professional kayaker and has traveled around the world for competitions. He was pretty awesome and quite hilarious.

We began our journey down the Nile with some flat water so the guide could explain safety and what to do. Within 5 minutes of being on the raft, we came upon some grade 2 rapids, just before reaching them our guide was like “Jump out.” All 6 of us just looked at one another debating whether or not he was serious (he liked to joke a lot) and when he said it again, we al just did it and jumped. We were the only boat to do this. Ha. We “floated” the rapids and were allowed back in the boat, it was actually pretty fun. Another 5 minutes in the boat and going over more orientation crap and flipped the boat. Good practice for the rapids I spose. I just found this whole thing quite funny. The guide was crazy and everything was striking me as hysterical.

We made our way further down the Nile and reached our first major rapid of a grade 4. We made it through just fine and got to the next rapid named 50/50, which should really be called 95/5. Almost instantly our boat decided it didn’t like us anymore so it flipped us out. On the way out of the boat, I managed to get into a fight with my paddle, but don’t worry I beat its butt. The Nile was waiting for me; it too wanted to fight, it put up a good one too. It held me under but I’m feisty and was ready to fight. I fought back and was able to get some air before round 2. This happened a few more times until I punched hard and got out of that current. I just rode the rest of the rapids in the water. I was having a blast, I never had the thought I could drown—the only thought I had similar to that is, oh I should get some air. Thinking about it now, I find that strange. But seriously all I could think was I need to get one of these, it’s so fun. Each time the current pulled me under, I just said ‘oh no you didn’t, I gots to breath and you don’t so try me, I will win.’ -which I did. I did end up with a fat lip and new tattoo on my face. It looks quite lovely. Well, once I got outta that spot and down the rapids, I was having so much fun I forgot to get rescued. It didn’t even cross my mind until a kayaker came outta nowhere and made me stop having so much fun and grab his kayak. He took me to my upside down raft, where everyone was already waiting; we flipped it over and hopped on.

The next rapid came around the bend and was a 5, the longest and hardest one of the day. It gave us a good ride. We stayed in the boat this time. We did a few more rapids ranging from 3-5 and then had a break in between so we all jumped in the water and floated some of the way. But the funniest part is when I went to jump, I was told to do a canon ball and when I went to do it, I slipped and did the best belly flop in town.

We got back in and did a few more rapids, tried to flip our boat but we couldn’t. Team Smashley just had too much skill. We had another stretch between rapids so we had the coolst picnic ever. We ate fresh pineapple floating down the Nile, looking at the monkey, water snakes (no thanks) and HUGE lizards. This time we weren’t allowed to get in the water because they have crocodiles in this part of the Nile.

We finally got to the next rapid, only it wasn’t a rapid; it was a freakin waterfall! I am not kidding or exaggerating on this, its name is even Bujagali Falls. This time, due to the recommendation of the guide and the shallowness of the area and rocks everywhere, we decided to try and stay in the raft. We went down and were quickly losing balance, tipping the boat. All of us started tumbling towards the water, but somehow stayed in. it boggles my mind. When we were clear of the rapid, we all stared at one another in disbelief. All we could think was ‘what just happened? How are we still in this raft?’ for like 5 minutes we couldn’t believ we were still in the raft. At one point, I was literally touching the water when the raft began tipping. Jesus held us in. that’s the only explanation I can get to.

As the boat moved towards the next level 5 rapid, we found out the name of it is The Dead Dutch Man. A man died trying to go down the rapid with just a jerry can and he died. Yeah, that wasn’t the best idea. There is no way any one would survive without the proper equipment. Well after the rapid there is a section of the river that forms a little holding pool tyoe thing. Apparently right after the rapids and edged on a rock towards the holding water was a dead body. I never saw it, thankfully, but a lot of my friends did. at first, they thought it wsa fake, but the guides made it evident that it wasn’t. they tried distraction techniques too. The body was turning colors and with the detail and description from those who saw it, it was real. The guides made it clear it was real, though they had never seen it before. I’m glad I didn’t see it.

We went on because there was nothing we could do. We got to the next few rapids and tried flipping, but couldn’t for some reason. I guess it’s because we are too awesome.

Around the next bend, I heard the loudest set of rapids and became anxious, but right before we reached them, we were told to paddle to the shore. We had to get out because the grade of this one was a 6+. It was wicked! One of the kayakers went through it (and survived), it was crazy intense. We carried the raft towards the end of the rapid, but not quite to the end. We put the boat back in the water and got in. this was the only time I was genuinely nervous/scared. We rafted through the last section of the rapid and did not die. The boat before us landed in a whirlpool area upside down, trapping some of the peeps under for a good minute. I was so nervous! But we made it through. I am surprised we didn’t flip. It was nuts!
We got out of the boats and loaded a truck and went to a BBQ. The perfect way to end a full day of rafting. I want to go again! Anyone wanna come over and go?? It’s the perfect excuse.

The rest of the time in Jinja was spent hanging around. Some of us went to a Chinese restaurant. We were curious about Ugandan Chinese food. I must say, it was quite tasty. Some people went bungee jumping, but I decided not to so I could experience my first time falling through the air with my mother when we go skydiving. ☺

Peace.

5 comments:

  1. Good choice on waiting for Mom to skydive. We know God has you protected-but don't push it sista! haha You are living such an adventure. I hope you are trying to keep a journal, besides your blogs. You definitely need to. Continue to be safe and our prayers are with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being kind to your mother....I've been anxiously awaiting this update. Sounds kinda crazy - I'm glad you came out alive! Your sense of adventure seems to be growing while living there....uh, oh. Does this mean we are actually going to go skydiving??? Help!!
    Love ya lots, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went white water rafting once....and will never do it again...I was one of those "peeps" trapped under the raft after I fell out....I had one of those moments when everything gets quiet and all you can think about is Tracy and Owen....I won't let that happen again!! Michelle...you got some moxy!! Way to go girl!!! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO EXCITING! You are very brave! loveyoumissyou!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Michelle – We were sure praying for you that weekend – as I am sure all of you were ! And am I glad Jesus answers prayers. I think you are right – When you went over Bujagali Falls You said “… I was literally touching the water when the raft began tipping. Jesus held us in. that’s the only explanation I can get to..It was Jesus…” Amen!
    I did a Maps Google for ‘Bujagali Falls Uganda’ and found maps of right where you were, as well as pictures of others who did this white water rafting over the years. Pretty amazing. You can move around the site, see the source of the Nile river, where it flows out of Lake Victoria by Jinja, and the length of river where you were. Just Awesome to think my little girl is doing this – having some fun and adventure, while serving the people you live with and around Kampala.
    I remember when I rafted the Gaully river in West Virginia. It too was very awesome with class 5+ rapids, and I thought it should be renamed “Oh Golly!”. I never would have recommended you to do this raft trip, but here you are. Maybe they should name these falls “Bu--Golly!” God bless you and keep on posting for us back home. Love, Daddio.

    ReplyDelete