Friday, October 14, 2011

The Grind.

Daily. Or Almost. 
Adrian, Candice, Celissa, and I are trying to have some kind of daily (or almost daily) thing we do together. 
   The first thing we like to do is pray. 
          That is always on the plan. 
      And right now we are reading through Jesus Freak together. 
  It's a collection of stories of martyrs since the time of Jesus. 
We will read one or two stories a day and than talk about them. 
   I love this time. 
      It refreshes my soul and reminds me there is no greater joy than to live and die for Jesus. 
  It reminds me how I need to be living daily. 
      And it encourages me to keep on pushing through for Him. 
   Our life on this earth is short, we get one shot to decide heaven or hell. 
 While I've chosen eternal life with Christ, what about the rest of Creation? 
           I cannot be silent- others must hear before it is too late. 
 Reading this book daily with the girls reminds me of this. 
           

Story Time. 
Today we ran errands in Port-au-Prince all day.
    We go to that dirty, smelly, desperate city roughly 2 times a week, give or take. 
 Honestly, I'm starting to dislike it more and more. 
        And I haven't even been here that long. 
It was a day of errands, but there were 10 of us for some reason so it also involved a lot of sitting around.
    Finally on the road towards home, we pulled off to another mission.
We were all off the bus, standing around when all the sudden Adrian, Candice, and I see it at the same time. 
     But it took us all a few seconds to register that it was ACTUALLY happening. 
 The bus was rolling away. 
       Heading straight for another vehicle. 
   Adrian and I just start screaming "THE BUS" "THE BUS" 
       Candice joined after her disbelief wore off. 
  I stood there thinking there has to be something I can do. 
     Because at first everyone just ignored us. 
But the only thing I could think to do ended with me pinned between the bus and the other vehicle in my imagination. 
          That just seemed like a stupid way to die. 
    So I just stood there, yelling with Adrian instead. 
             The men FINALLY paid attention to us. 
They ran in front of the bus and stopped it, pushing against it while the driver ran inside and pulled the break.
         They stopped the bus in time and all is well!


Coming Up. 
Tomorrow we have another team coming.  
    It's a team of doctors. 
       It's going to be a busy week with them, but I think it will be fun. 
We are taking them to do clinics from Port-au-Prince, to Northern Haiti, to the island off of Haiti and everywhere in between. 
    I'm Excited though! 
  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some amazing experiences!!! I have been to Tortuga and it will be a great experience for you! If you get motion sickness it might be a good idea to take some dramamine....I am just saying:):)
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete