Monday, January 12, 2009

Muzungu

Well, I have made it to Mukono. We landed in Entebbe late Friday night and when we went to collect luggage, only one of my bags managed to make it. One other girl in the group was missing a bag as well. We went to file a claim and were told they would come in on Air Kenya sometime this weekend, which is weird because we are in Uganda. I have yet to receive it. Luckily, I had a few starter clothes in the bag I did have. Once we got through customs, all 39 of us loaded a bus and drive 2 hours to the UCU campus in Mukono. It's gorgeous!! All IMME students, that's me, stayed in guest housing on campus that night. When I woke up Saturday morning, I seriously felt like I was in paradise. I opened my eyes, looked through the mosquito net and out the rustic, balcony doors and saw lucious green trees, and some kind of tucon chiling on the balcony railing. Before we had to go meet everyone, I took in the moment with a book on the balcony and made friends with all the passing Ugandans.

Later we went to orientation and it was blah. We took a tour of the campus and around 4 we were taken to our families homes. I will be living with them for the remaining time I am here. There is another IMME student staying at my house so it is kind of nice learning together- to help one another. I love my new family!! My papa is very talkative and funny, while my mama is quiet, she talks only when we talk to her. I don't even know how many brothers I have. I have not met them all, I have met Michael, Brian, and Simon. I have a sister my age, her name is Judie. We share a room and she is very sweet- we get along great! I have another sister Mary, she is shy. And a grandmother and I don't know who else. I see new faces all the time. Most speak english, minus the older generations. We have many chickens, a cat, the cutest kittens, and 2 dogs.

Papa is the headmaster of the high school, it is private so they are well off. We have a car and nice home with electricity, a computer and a TV. However, they do not have any plumbing, so I get to bathe out of a bucket and squat to go the bathroom. I enjoy it oddly enough. They cook great food, but the same thing for every meal. They do have a large silo thing with water in it, but it has been dry here so the pump does not work. We have to go to town for water. We have tea time every day which is just great! Dinner is not until 9-10pm and they go to bed late-like 3 or 4am. There are no ceilings so sound travels in the house. They wake up around 6:30. I don't know how they have energy for all the manual labor they do.

I begin school today, I don't have class till 2. It is a 30 minute walk to the campus, but papa drops us off in the mornings so we arn't sweaty and full of the red dirt by the time we get here. We walk home though. Today I have already walked to and from the house becasue I forgot my keys and every child says 'Muzungu- Hi!, Bye!' which means white person. It makes me laugh. In a 30 minute walk in a town of many people, that's a lot of kids. The roads I take, like most roads, are not paved so its bumpy and the red dirt gets everywhere. Most Ugandans shower 2 times a day and especially at the university they must look sharp. I have no idea how they all look so clean and sharp. I have already learned some Luganda (their laguage), my family is impressed; and me too.

Well, I am going to sign off now. I absolutely love this culture and my new family. After 2 hours of being in their home, I already felt like I was part of the family. Good luck getting me to leave after the semester is over.

P.S. I have a Ugandan cell phone, the number is [ 011 256 77 57651 38 ]
You can get a decent priced calling card at http://www.uniontelecard.com/


3 comments:

  1. So GREAT to hear of your new family! Just don't forget the old one back here!!
    One Question...has your second bag made it??
    Love ya lots,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! glad to hear that you made it! sounds like you are loving it...woo woo! i'm so glad!
    i have one question for you too...is the missing bag the one holding all of your items from the BACK WALL???!!! oh crap!
    haha
    i love you friend,
    joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. SILO!!!!!!!
    fun fun.

    I love you and miss you.
    and you signed off facebook before I got to reply. I was reading this.
    darn white people :]
    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete