Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The One That is not about my day.

I write this blog in response to a previous comment that read:

You are wise way beyond your years. As you study the world, you'll learn that all cultures have something in common with a belief in God. As you'll find, most peoples of the world are good people and profess their beliefs in God in different ways. There are truly no wrong religions, just people doing wrong things in the name of their religion.

In response:

Hmm. This is interesting and I appreciate this. First of all, let’s take the word religion out of this. Many people get stuck on the word because people who have a religion have hurt them and the definition of this word religion is so broad. In the end, all that matters is the fact that God sent His son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins because of the love God has for man, something we cannot begin to comprehend.
I was talking about God revealing Himself while you were mentioning the different beliefs in God. So, what about people who are atheist and think there is no such thing as a god? Also, what do you think about death… like, what happens once one dies? If there are those who deny He exists or don’t believe Jesus came to earth as man and died on the cross and rose again, what happens to them?
I wish this all could be simple and everyone could be saved, no matter their beliefs. But if you take a look at this world, you can see lots of love and good, but also lots of evil. The evil that fills this earth causes hate and confusion.
For this part, I am going to bring the word religion back in. But before I do, I want to give it a definition so we are talking the same. For now, I am going to go with what E. Darkheim defined religion as: A unified system, of beliefs and practices into unity. So, if there are no wrong religions how do you justify those that believe in destructive gods? Like the Aztecs or here in Uganda, some believe they must sacrifice children. To them, these horrible actions are the right things in their religion. Who gets to say when these are right or wrong actions? To them these actions are good and to us they are not.
Some Christians try to bring God down to the human level where He is not. They (including myself) like to pretend He is our neighbor or friend rather then someone to submit to. Even if one does more good than the next, this does not make one better than the other, not in the eyes of God. Because we all have sinned and have had done evil, having fallen short of the glory of God.
In this world, there is good and there is bad. Ever since evil first entered the world in Genesis, there must be good and there must be bad. God gave us the honor of making own decision of faith in Him and Satan takes advantage of this. The devil wants us to be confused and fall away from Christ so he can have control over us instead. Every time I sin, Satan gets a point but I already know what will happen in the end, God will win.
This whole discussion brings a curiosity upon me, is it easier to say peoples’ actions are wrong or right, than it is to say whether there is a good God who created this world and His Son died for us or that there is no god at all?
In the end, the one thing that matters is whether the individual believes in his heart that Jesus died on the cross for us. I do not have religion, nor am I “religious”. Rather, I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ our Lord. Every day I struggle to turn completely away from sin, but God loves me no matter what. This must be a strong love because why would He still want me after the day is over and I disobeyed Him a countless number of times, and even for some time denied His existence? This is just a tiny glimpse of how vast His love really is. There is no way to fully understand this because I am merely human. I have to have the strength to turn towards His open arms and run away from the temptations that lie before me. I must turn daily back to Him and everyday He rejoices I am forever His! And I pray the same for you.



Now, it’s your turn…what do you think? I would love to hear what you believe, not arguing, but merely having a conversation. All of you.

2 comments:

  1. They say there are always two things you shouldn't talk about-Religion and Politics. I feel that both are very similiar and that is why there is such a vast discuss. Both ask you to have faith that their way is right and you are following a just path. You will also get varying answers when you ask them 'what is your religion or politics'. You will hear 'Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Christian, Jew, Muslim.......Democrat, Republican, Independent, Communist....' But, personally, the biggest difference in Religion and Politics is that Humans make mistakes and cannot be COMPLETELY followed to do their bidding. Religion to me is more FAITH. I don't understand some religions that rely on an 'intersessor' (sp) to go before God in my name for MY sins and then instruct me how I will be forgiven. I believe God came to Earth in the form of the Christ child and dwelt among us for instruction and our eventual Salvation by shedding His blood on the Cross. If we were to trust Man for our Salvation or elimination of sins than Christ's blood would become null and void. I believe I need to trust in His guidance and follow the instructions He has laid out before us in His Holy Word (the Bible). Good and Evil are always in conflict for our Earthly vessel and then our Eternal Soul. We cannot let Man guide our path. Then is when we conflict with God and cause more destruction. I always start any of my prayers 'God please forgive me for what I have said or done that was wrong.' If there is any doubts or unconfessed Sins I believe it creates a wall between us that blocks my requests and praises for Him. I believe we will NEVER truly know everything until we are face to face with Him in Heaven.
    That is my opinion and I look forward to reading others views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think of the elephant in the room. relativists emphasize the different perspective of each blind man trying to figure out what the elephant is. which i get: a lot of life is a matter of perspective, of who's telling the story. but there's still an elephant, making elephant noises, saying, hey folks, stop being stupid, i'm an elephant. not for christ's sake, but for ours, cuz i believe it was christ that said i'm an elephant. the elephant being the capital T Truth. and that our friends perspective wasn't wrong, so much as incomplete.

    p.s.for my part, im probably mroe interested in the love than the truth most of the time, but if the love doesn't come with truth and power, it's not really love anyways.

    ReplyDelete