Monday, January 19, 2009

The One where I fall

So it' been almost a week since I last updated and lots has happened. Time got away from me so I will try my best to give a decently detailed update. There is no specific order to this, it will be whatever comes to my head- so kinda random.

So I have this issue with falling. Today, I managed to fall down a hill, I wish I could say it was huge, but it takes about 3 steps to get to the bottom. The point of this story is I twisted the ankle I am scheduled to have surgery on this summer and I heard a pop. It's swollen now. But I think I should be able to walk it off. The 30 minute walk home should do it. Nothing to worry about. I kinda wish I woulda brought a brace with. Oh well, too bad for me.

I came home last Tuesday and there was a random 2 yr old hanging around and she sleeps in my room. I couldn't figure out where she came from for 3 days. I finally asked and it turns out she is the granddaughter. I have finally been allowed to start learning and helping around the house. I think my favorite chore is collecting chicken eggs. They have about 700 chickens so it's like going on a big easter egg hunt 4 times a day. The first time I went in there I could have sworn all the chickens were conspiring against me to attack me. My brother Mike thought it was hilarious. My second favorite chore is making passion fruit juice from scratch. I think it's fun! I also help sweep, do the dishes, cook a little and other random things. I am not yet allowed to do laundry, I don't know why.

I have been reading the local newspaper daily. It's very interesting. They have such different issues and perspectives on global isssues. I have seen many articles about Obama and America, there are some articles basically saying we will see about Obama. I find this interesting becasue there are many Africans here that think his presidency is the best thing that has happened since Jesus. I like the fact that the news isn't biased towards one side like in America. In my journal, I have been writing down some articles, here are a few just to show the issues Uganda is dealing with:
-6 yrs ago a grandmother sold her then 4 yr old granddaughter to a couple in the US and the father of the child just found out and took her to the police.
-The government spent 6 billion shillings (roughly 3-4 million dollars) on medicines that have dissappeared.
-There was an article about how Obama can learn a few things from Castro.
- Many articles about corruption in Uganda
-The problem of Child sacrificing
-Uganda ranks 2nd in the world for most traffic deaths
-The problems of children who are forced to fend for themselves after parents have abandoned them
-Murders, elections, and refugees in W. Uganda
-A 2 yr old child was in jail for 76 days
-A countless number of articles on HIV/AIDS
These are just few I have added to my journal. The problems of Uganda is heart breaking, I hope these few issues will encourage you to pray for the people here.

Today on campus they are doing HIV testing. It's kinda like when the Blood Center comes in a van to get people to donate blood, only they don't really want that much blood from you and they def. don't want to give it to others.

I taught the neighbor girl and my brother how to play solitare, war, poker, and BS. Went to the capital city, Kampala on Friday. The Muslims had a big riot going on about Israel. Didn't really scare me, but I was def more aware since some people had guns in their hands. Maybe I shoulnd't tell all of this. Some people may fear for me. You really shouldn't. I have never felt like I was in danger. I know the Lord is with me and He is protecting me. Whatever happens, happens.

Water is a major problem. My family ran out over the weekend. Luckily, the university gave me an emergency supply so I was able to share that with my family. We made it last until we were able to get water again. When I came to school today, I went to fill my Nalgene from the drinkning water and there wasn't any there either.

My malaria medicine has been giving me wacky dreams every night. I kinda like it though. I took a nap on the front porch yesterday, it was quite amazing!! It had a perfect breeze and was oddly very comfy, I even got to wake up to the neighbor kids staring at me saying "Muzungu" over and over again. The only part about the nap I did not enjoy was I got my first bug bites- 3 right in a row on my lower back. Not very fun.

I'm not really sure what else to update about so I think I will type something from my journal:
It's almost dinner time and I am sitting on the couch with my feet up looking at the open sores; the popped blisters, the blisters still growing, the wound where I stepped on glass and it entered my skin opening a large gash and even the places where my shoes have rubbed off the skin, I know I cannnot even think about complaining. Having been here only a week, I have learned and grown more than I thought was possible. Humility. Humility. Humility. My brother shuts the back door and I wonder why (this is not usually done due to heat) until I hear it. The tin roof sheilds us, bouncing the beads off. I did not expect hail. It's 10:30pm and it's time for dinner. All the girls, including myself, fill the little "kitchen" and finish preparing the meal. We bring it to the family room, someone prays, and everyone digs in, and I mean digs in. Everyone is smiling and seems to have the same energy they had this morning at 7, yet it's almost 11pm. Papa tells of his long, tiring day and the ladies do not need to tell of their day because we all know what it mainly consisted of. They cooked over a "campfire" and did dishes. They collected eggs from 700 chickens, washed clothes by hand, and boiled water for drinkning They swept and mopped the floors inside and outside, and even swept the grass. And who knows what else they did. All the while I went to 2 hours of class and spent 5 hours wondering around Kampala. I walk 3 miles to school and 3 miles home. I help out when I am home, but not enough. I feel exhausted and it's pathetic. They all tell me to go to bed after dinner b/c I am tired, they did more than I did today and yet tell me I am tired. I help clean up anyways.
Why do Americans complain so easily? Why do people have to park as close to the building they are going into as possible? What's wrong with walking an extra 100 feet? Why do Americans feel depressed when they have so much and don't do nearly as much manual labor as other cultures? Maybe that's the problem, they need to get off their behinds and do actual work. I could go on and on complainng about the American culture, but that is not my purpose here. My purpose here is to learn and grow in knowledge and in the Lord.

I am not sure what you guys want to hear, so suggestions/questions would be great. I hope you all have a wonderful monday!! [I shall try and upload pictures].

2 comments:

  1. I hope your foot is fine. Yeah, I don't think people in America realize that they have it so good. We have basically anything we want. We have water, shelter, food. Americans have it good. Take care and my prayers are with you. Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle - this is a note from Trudi: Thank you so much Michelle for sharing your experience. I just find it so inspiring. I LOVED the pictures, the journal entry, and the headlines from the paper. I have never been further than North America and hearing first hand experience makes me feel like I'm almost there. You are doing a great, great job of updating. I know so many people that start a blog and then don't update for months and months, so once a week is like heaven! I will be praying for you and the people of Uganda. I can just feel that you will do great things with your life. For you to have the focus of the Lords work at such a young age... well there are no words. I admire you so much! Please keep up the blog if you are able. I'm looking forward to your progress and I too want to know what is up with the laundry! Blessings, Trudi

    ReplyDelete